Morris Sim: Software Design at Microsoft

Morris talked about how Software Development is done at Microsoft. He focused especially on the Software Design process and discussed the common techniques that are used at Microsoft to ensure that a project ends successfully. As expected he confirmed that the common developer underestimates the time amount that is neccesary to complete a particular task or to fix a particular bug. “Time is very hard to estimate” he said – and that’s really the way I experienced it in the past.

1. #1 by Sebastian on March 15, 2005 - 21:21

Well I think all of us know what makes it so hard to estimate the time needed to fix a bug: rotten code and errors by design.

2. #2 by Nico on March 16, 2005 - 10:28

Have you ever worked on a software devolopment project ?
    When no, please no senseless comments.

3. #3 by Bietiekay on March 16, 2005 - 11:21

Yes please. No senseless comments.

4. #4 by Sebastian on March 16, 2005 - 17:46

@Nico:
    How many people know what “rotton code” is and have never worked on a software developement project. Of course I have.
    And:
    “When no, please no senseless comments.”
    Does that mean that you are allowed to make senseless comments because you worked on a project? Otherwise your statement isn’t complete and allows trolling in here. In my opionion that’s a design error.

Have you ever worked on a software developement project?

5. #5 by Bietiekay on March 16, 2005 - 20:24

you´re spoiling for a fight, aren´t you?

6. #6 by Sebastian on March 16, 2005 - 21:13

Of course he is. Telling people to shut up when all they do is to sincerely state the obvious.

7. #7 by Bietiekay on March 16, 2005 - 21:53

actually the one I meant was you Sebastian.

8. #8 by Sebastian on March 16, 2005 - 22:51

I know. Ever heard of “selective perception”? You can use it sometimes to your own benefit. 😉
    You really don’t expect me to just take an insult and leave it at that without a little flame.

9. #9 by Bietiekay on March 16, 2005 - 23:18

I heard of it – and you obviously have a very selective perception… and let me tell you, it’s not as often to your benefit as you may think.

10. #10 by Sebastian on March 16, 2005 - 23:35

Given the limited opportunities I get to use it that’s a risk I’m willing to take. As long as I use it consiously there is nothing I have to worry about. But I the unconcious use of it is something you really have to watch out for. Especially nico and yourself and especially in this discussion.
    To be more specific: including ActiveX in IE is a design error. And this design error keeps Microsoft software developers from fixing bugs concerning ActiveX quickly and permanently.
    Granted – I have absolutely no knowledge about the qualitiy of the IE code, so the “rotten” part of my original statement doesn’t concern IE but it’s true nonetheless.

11. #11 by Bietiekay on March 17, 2005 - 02:57

i tend to ignore you.

12. #12 by Sebastian on March 17, 2005 - 12:04

To ignore people is the perfect example of selective perception. But let me tell you – it’s not as often to your own benefit as you may think.

13. #13 by Bietiekay on March 18, 2005 - 00:45

Well look: I do not have the time to play your childish games… maybe you can understand that.

14. #14 by Sebastian on March 18, 2005 - 06:26

[X] First they ignore you,
    [X] then they make funn of you,
    [ ] then they fight you,
    [ ] then you win.

Ghandi

The first 2 steps in one thread already – wow, you’re pretty fast.

15. #15 by Bietiekay on March 18, 2005 - 08:24

whisper silently for yourself: IAM NOT GHANDI. IAM NOT GHANDI. IAM NOT…

16. #16 by Sebastian on March 18, 2005 - 16:24

Who is this “IAM” person you’re talking about.

But less sarcastically (I almost wrote “seriously”):
    When it comes to peacefully standing up for your rights, all of us are Ghandi. Or at least should be. Better believing to be Ghandi than believing to be immune to all environmental developements simply because one sold out to a pretty unscrouplous employer.

Comments are closed.