Apple iTunes for Windows Mobile 5 spotted!!!

UPDATE: even more pictures and testing here…

I managed to get my hands on Apple iTunes for Windows Mobile 5.0. After the Motorola ROKR Apple seems to get seriously into the mobile phone business. As my sources tell there will be a special data rate for T-Mobile bundled with devices that come with iTunes (maybe we’ll see an official announcement soon).

The version I could test was iTunes for Windows Mobile 5.0 version 0.9. Although it looks pretty complete (everything (except bonjour) is in place and even podcast sync worked like a champ (see picture)) it’s not a customer ready version. I don’t know anything about the release dates or announcement dates at the moment.

Some words to the graphical user interface: Apple decided to use the well known iTunes in favor of the iPod user interface. Since the buttons and functionalities are all where I expected them it’s as easy to use as the “big” version of iTunes.

I did not have the time for an in-depth test yet but it seems that it is not limited in the way the Motorola ROKR is. Nevertheless I was not able to sync it with a PC/Mac iTunes yet since there are no drivers (and I haven’t got any) I successfully copied 1 GB of MP3/AAC files onto a SD Card and I could play it all. When I inserted the SD Card iTunes automatically searched for media files and rebuilt it’s library. After some seconds I could start listening.

It’s about 6 AM here and I had no sleep – so more after I woke up…

we all know this icon… now even on Windows Mobile.

This MDA2 is connected to the Internet over GPRS. You can see that a search in the iTunes podcast directory was successful.

a little bit closer

the menu. All one-hand-navigation…

Source: http://www.apple.com

1. #1 by JimMcSlim on September 28, 2005 - 03:10

Hmmm, I hope this is true, but I wonder if it is just an elaborate hoax? Does this not cannibalize iPod sales? If this runs on my Dell Axim X50V, I doubt I would have reason to purchase an iPod or iPod nano; I already have an iPod shuffle which is fine for playing random music, but not so good for navigating around podcasts or audiobooks. This sort of thing would otherwise be perfect (assuming it eventually syncs with iTunes on PC or Mac).

Still, here’s hoping its coming soon!

2. #2 by DvO on September 28, 2005 - 11:30

I’ve called with Apple, and they know nothing about it…

If this is true, give us a link for the download..

3. #3 by dede on September 28, 2005 - 15:56

I’m calling you out on this my friend. JimMcSlim is correct, this would cut into iPod sales… something Apple would never allow. With this, millions of Windows Mobile device owners like me, would never purchase and iPod.

You claim the source is Apple.com, but Apple does not have anything on it’s pages even hinting at this. I have a close friend that works at Cupertino and is honest with me about things. He know nothing about this and agrees it would take away from iPod sales.

4. #4 by Bietiekay on September 28, 2005 - 15:59

don’t we all have “close friends” in cupertino?

5. #5 by silver_haze20 on September 28, 2005 - 17:04

Bear in mind, people with PDA’s aren’t likely to want an mp3 player aswell, especially nowadays with large capacity flash drives coming about. These are convergence devices, meaning its all you need to carry round, Apple would likely want to make sure people use iTunes, and get their money through iTMS I would’ve thought.

I would’ve thought (although I don’t know as I don’t own one) the people who buy these have the aim of not having to carry loads of devices about, especially now with the convergence of mobile phones with these devices.

I won’t call fake, but time will tell…

6. #6 by hans on September 28, 2005 - 17:37

can you make a video of this itunes version? i want to see it in motion!

7. #7 by bri on September 28, 2005 - 17:38

Heh – Nice fake. Nice way to drive up hits to the site as well 😉

8. #8 by Notyourmom on September 28, 2005 - 23:08

What the hell is wrong with you guys. You act like Itunes is the end all that will cut apples sales? Windows Mobile ALREADY plays mp3’s, playlists, music, and video. With windows media. I have a pocket pc at home with a 1 gig SD card in it that plays mp3’s to headphones. Itunes is just a shitty media player, and it won’t hurt apple at all to have it on another platform. It doesn’t make your pocket pc an “ipod interface” or anything. You’re all N00bs trying to sound smarty.
    -Ack

9. #9 by Matt on September 29, 2005 - 00:49

Let’s have more proof. Leak your binary to someone, like Engadget. Do an iChat AV video conference with them.

10. #10 by Mobile Phone Fan on September 29, 2005 - 01:18

Leaking it to me (i.e. editor of msmobiles.com) makes even more sense: apart from testing it, I can also decompile the code and check whether this application is not a mock-up developed in prototype-like way to pretend being iTunes or whether it is really made by Apple. Engadget can’t do such decompilation because they’re not developers.

11. #11 by Currawong on September 29, 2005 - 06:39

There’s very good proof here that it’s fake: Apple would never waste such a huge amount of space at the top of ANY application just for the Apple logo.

I’ll take a punt that it’s skinned PocketPC mp3 software.

12. #12 by lok cheung on September 29, 2005 - 17:46

look at the interface of iPod and ROKR, it’s the interface for handheld player with small screen. first it is tree structure for easy navigate with buttons on handheld device, second it save screen space

the windows media player also have different design for desktops and handheld. why the “iTunes for windows mobile” have the same? because everyone can use photoshop these days

13. #13 by Dan on October 8, 2005 - 20:24

The giveaway here is that it has *two* play buttons, right next to each other.

14. #14 by zazou2 on June 25, 2007 - 14:32

انت ابن متناكة و كائن جيلاتينى خرنفشى لزج

15. #15 by thexfile on July 18, 2007 - 20:04

where can i find a link to this software …

i want it on my toutshcreen htc x7500

16. #16 by Vostrihodamon on February 3, 2008 - 11:36

Fake… Don’t bother reading. This is a scam.

17. #17 by marryroy01 on October 7, 2009 - 08:25

Wow this the best now we enjoying itune on mobile. Thanks for sharing nice infromation on Apple’s new software.

18. #18 by Anton4488 on October 19, 2009 - 16:49

I can’t find anything except those photos! May it’s someone’s joke?

Please, tell me where to download?! If it’s real…

19. #19 by BAYU on December 25, 2009 - 13:10

ah boong nih!

20. #20 by E:I on February 26, 2010 - 00:41

i found this link idk if its the same but i hope it works http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-tag-itunes.html

21. #21 by adasinyo on August 31, 2010 - 19:05

Ah inimah kibul bgt zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comments are closed.