Sven brought up the idea to start a “DotNetUserTaskGroup” – which, to simplify the explanation, is a group of .NET interested people who once in a while get a task to solve. Everything is for fun and educational purposes only. No commercial background whatsoever.
Here it is from Microsoft: Currently in CTP, The SQL Server 2005 – Everywhere Edition is a compact database (5MB memory footprint, approx. 2MB!! disk footprint)
- Full referential integrity with cascading deletes and updates
- Multiple connections for foreground and background operations
- Single data file with password protection and 128-bit file level encryption
- Transaction support to commit and rollback grouped changes
- A wide range of data-types, such as UNICODE character data types, IMAGE, MONEY, and IDENTITY
- Supports database size up to 4 gigabytes
- SET Functions (aggregates), INNER and OUTER JOIN, subselect, and GROUP BY and HAVING clauses
- Scrollable and updatable cursors to provide fast and easy data access
So. Take a look at it. There is also the slightly bigger SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, which gives you nearly all the functionality of a large scale multi-user database. But when you need to do small tasks (e.g. small websites) you need to try that one.